APIQ_® defines Large Holders as producers who have 51 or more sows, and sell or feed to slaughter more than 1001 pigs in a year.
The APIQ_® Implementation Manual (Large Holder) is designed to assist Large Holders to implement APIQ_® on-farm.
The APIQ_® Standards and Performance Indicators are the same for Small and Large Holders. However, Large Holders typically require more complex manuals and recording systems than Small Holders.
APIQ_® helps you manage your pig production by helping you to:
- Document how you manage your operation in a Piggery Management Manual, which describes what and how you do things in your piggery in Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and/or Work Instructions (WIs), and explains how you meet the APIQ_® Standards and Performance Indicators.
- Record what happened in your piggery and to your pigs from day-to-day.
- Demonstrate to your customers that you meet the APIQ_® Standards in your production through an annual Compliance Audit and annual Internal Audit.
You do this by:
- Developing your Piggery Management Manual including SOPs and/or WIs.
- Implementing the systems you have developed and outlined in your Piggery Management Manual.
- Establishing records and systems that demonstrate your compliance to the Standards.
- Conducting an Internal Audit at least once a year, approximately six (6) months but no later than eight (8) months after your Compliance Audit has been completed (Refer Standard 1.1 E and Certification Policy (CP) 2).
- Participating in an annual Compliance Audit.
- Addressing any Corrective Action Requests (CARs) identified in your Compliance Audit.
Options for the Structure of APIQ_® for Large Holders
The option you choose for the structure of APIQ_® on your farm, will depend on your personal preference and the scale and complexity of your operation.
- Option 1 – A large single site piggery using a Piggery Management Manual, checklists, diaries, notebooks, and records for individual areas within the piggery and detailed SOPs and WIs with staff induction and training records to ensure that your systems are known by staff.
- Option 2 – A large multi-site piggery operation with an overall company QA system in place. It has individual Piggery Management Manuals relevant to each site in place and detailed SOPs, WIs, and recording systems in place on all sites. Company-wide policies and practices are known to all relevant parties.