APIQ_® defines Small Holders as producers who have 50 or fewer sows and sell or feed to slaughter 1000 or fewer pigs in a year.
The APIQ_® Small Holder Manual is designed to assist Small Holders to implement APIQ_® on-farm.
The APIQ_® Standards and Performance Indicators are the same for Small and Large Holders. However, Large Holders typically require more complex manuals and recording systems than Small Holders.
APIQ_® helps you manage your pig production by helping you to:
- Document how you manage your operation in a Piggery Management Manual, which describes what and how you do things in your piggery in Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and/or Work Instructions (WIs), and explains how you meet the APIQ_® Standards and Performance Indicators.
- Record what happened in your piggery and to your pigs from day-to-day.
- Demonstrate to your customers that you meet the APIQ_® Standards in your production through an annual Compliance Audit and annual Internal Audit.
You do this by:
- Developing your Piggery Management Manual including SOPs and/or WIs.
- Implementing the systems you have developed and outlined in your Piggery Management Manual.
- Establishing records and systems that demonstrate your compliance to the Standards.
- Conducting an Internal Audit at least once a year, approximately six (6) months but no later than eight (8) months after your Compliance Audit has been completed (Refer Standard 1.1 E and Certification Policy (CP) 2).
- Participating in an annual Compliance Audit.
- Addressing any Corrective Action Requests (CARs) identified in your Compliance Audit.
Options for the Structure of APIQ_® for Small Holders
The option you choose for the structure of APIQ_® on your farm, will depend on your personal preference and the scale and complexity of your operation.
- Option 1 – A simple system including use of the Small Holder Manual as your Piggery Management Manual, The Pig Management Diary (Diary) and notebooks for records and simple SOPs and/or WIs.
- Option 2 – Develop your own site Piggery Management Manual containing checklists, diaries, notebooks, and records for individual areas within the piggery and detailed SOPs and WIs.
The primary documents used by a Small Holder are the Small Holder Manual and the Pig Management Diary.
Much of the documentation needed to demonstrate compliance with the Standards and Performance Indicators is recorded directly in the Small Holder Manual and most of the records required can be met by completing the Pig Management Diary.